Monday, May 21, 2012

“…and I was so surprised that I could turn a yellow letter into an orange letter just by adding a line."


When I first heard about synesthesia, it was only mentioned once in a book I was reading. After more research on the subject I find that I am ever more interested in this ability. It sounds like an incredible condition to experience. It was interesting to read up on the different types of synesthesia. I think the types that turn sound or images into colored visions are the most fascinating. I also found it intriguing that in some cases multiple senses are linked together. Honestly, I think this would be a condition that would be pleasurable to experience. The article talked about how synesthetes use this talent to help with regular tasks such as memorization but how it can also lead into more creative worlds like theatre and film. As a person interested in design I feel like this would lead to interesting artistic creations and is definitely something I will consider in all future endevors.

The article on Synesthesia art was fascinating. It was intriguing to read about the history of art and its connections to synesthesia. The section on the artists who had had this condition and used it as a source of inspiration. The color paintings definitely looked like something one would expect to find in an experimental video. I also found the bit about the color organ interesting. It was refreshing to see that artists have been interested in this concept for a long time now. Looking at the artwork created it can be easy to see how this associates with film and also gives me some examples for inspiration.

The video on cymatics was something I had never heard of. It does bring up some interesting ideas on the connection between sound and visuals in film. One of these cymatic machines could lead to an interesting experimental film. It is smart to always think of the connection between soundtrack and what is on the screen. It makes me think of keeping tempo and rhythm coherent with images.

Overall, all these articles have opened up some interesting ideas and I am excited to get creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment